The Phase 2, socially-distancing friendly game for people who are comfortable playing catch
The set up:
- Try to find a full size soccer net that is just a standing frame (2 posts and a cross bar), with no mesh. You’ll also need at least 15 yards of flat grass behind the net.
- Aim to bring 20 cones or cone alternatives (plan b – don’t mark the defender’s space).
- Set up like this:
Gameplay and Scoring
- There are 3 active players at a time: 2 on offense (1 on each side of the goal and beyond their “inner boundary”) and a defender (in the net, similar to a soccer goalie. Please be aware of the metal bars around you, and do not crash into them).
- The offense starts with the disc centered between their two scoring zones, and the thrower always plays with the usual ultimate rules regarding pivoting.
- The offense needs to throw a pass through the soccer net, then:
- If it is caught inside one of their receiver’s scoring squares – that’s a point, and play continues back the other way immediately.
- If it’s caught, but not inside a scoring square, play continues, but no point is scored.
- If the disc is turned for any reason, that’s an out.
- If at any time the thrower has been holding the disc for more than 2 seconds, the defender can initiate a “3-2-1-down” stall count (though, they may appreciate the rest being offered).
- When an out occurs:
- If you are playing with 2 set teams (like 2v2), the other defender can sub in. In this style of game, I suggest playing “innings”, where each defender plays D once, and a single defender can allow a maximum of 10 points before being “mercy’d” and counting it as an automatic out.
- If you are playing with 3 players: rotate through positions and count how many points each defender gives up. Repeat for as many innings as you like.
- If you are playing with 5 players: Have each “duo” play against all 3 defenders (3 outs), seeing which duo can get the highest score.
If scoring is too difficult:
- Expand the scoring spaces
- Count any completed passes as points
- Defender needs to stay between the 2 cones on the opposite side of the net from the thrower (farther from the thrower, and more space to throw to)
- Defender can only pivot
If scoring is too easy:
- Shrink the scoring spaces, or move them farther away from the goal (the latter makes return throws much more difficult)
- Allow the defender to reset after each throw (removes rapid fire rallies)
- Taunt the wind
- 2 Defenders
*If you find new ways to make this game more fun, more accessible, or better for skill development, send an update to [email protected]
** Make sure you follow all government health guidelines when playing